Forum

Browse topics, discover Works With Legrand community!

Thread capability

Currently you are using Zigbee 3.0, and you are showing Zigbee Alliance (Now CSA – Connectivity Standard Alliance). are you able, or will you be able to support Thread, which is part of Matter?

Thanks

Hi Ellis,

For the moment, I can’t tell you more about what we will do with our products and Thread protocol. If there are some evolutions, a public announcement will be done

Have a good day,

Leslie – Community Manager

OK, I understand. Is there anything generic such as any announcement that Legrand have made with regard to Thread and or Matter?

BTW, my surname is Ellis, not my first name.

Regards

Siobhan

Oops, sorry Siobhan for my mistake 😉

No, for now, nothing is published by Legrand about it

Have a good day,

Leslie – Community Manager

Hi, I’m also interested in knowing more about thread support. We are now in 2023, apple natively supports matter’s thread. https://developer.apple.com/apple-home/matter/ but the market lacks of devices.

To what I read, technically speaking, any Zigbee device should be able to talk with a thread device in terms of frequency. Which mean that, unless your connected devices would be using a third party Zigbee controller, there should be a way to add a thread support through a firmware upgrade.

I recently upgraded my home with more than 30 Legrand devices (mostly living now shutters, push buttons, switches). It’s working fine, but having 3 home pods + AppleTV, I really wish I could avoid having one more gateway dedicated to those connected switches. For now, I’m already glad to be able to use that gateway to drive Philips Hue and Ikea lights but if we could in the future even get rid of it and rely only on one of the existing (apple in my case) devices it would be a real improvement (not to mention that any other thread compatible device will act as a bridge whatever their brand.)

The combing of thread and matter is a real game changer, I already spent more than 2’000 € in upgrading my former plugs and switches and this is not finished, in the case there would be no native support for thread in the future, I think I would consider switching to another solution. Xiaomi is planning supporting “thread” on former devices, I really hope Legrand will follow this trend and still support existing products.

[edit] Aquara’s Hub M2 is now supporting thread. This is however not (yet?) an upgrade to the Zigbee devices to support Thread.

It actually depends on the implementation as to if a zigbee device can move to Thread.

I’d say that now we need support for Matter. These are switches, and Matter supports Switches. Behind, Thread can be used or the gateway can be upgraded to support Matter.

It would be nice to see Legrand be part of a working group to expand the Matter standard to include power management.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.