Forum

Browse topics, discover Works With Legrand community!

K4411C change device type in HomeKit

I installed one K4411C smart switch module to be a smart control of my bathroom ventilation fan. I would like to change the device type in HomeKit so i can get the fan icons. It seems this is currently not enabled for K4411C, and the only icons I can get now is the light icons.

Is it possible to expose the device type option in homekit, so that K4411C smart switch becomes more versatile for users. Thanks.

Hello, is there any update on this?

Hi,

I didn’t had a feedback for this. And I’m not really sure it’s possible as Apple put restrictions on device_types and we can’t manage it on our side

Have a good day,

Leslie – Community Manager

Developer bas an option to expose the device type option in HomeKit. That way the user can configure what kind of electrical device the switch is operating.

Can you be so kind and forward this to the engineering team so they can look into it? Thanks.

You must be logged in to view attached files.

Leslie, I believe they are referring to the similar thread: https://developer.legrand.com/forums/topic/control-homekit-switch-typedisplay-as-support/ where I had requested this functionality for the Radiant switches a few months ago. This is a different product, but the switch type is allowed based on how the device is added to HomeKit.

Leslie,

I know myself and others (see Joshua’s post above) have made requests for this feature.

It currently works for Netatmo connected receptacles; I can set the device type of a receptacle in HomeKit as “Light”, “Outlet”, and “Fan”.

We are all requesting this feature be added to Netatmo switches as well. In my case, I have fans & heaters that are connected to Netamo switches and they are all identified as “Lights” within HomeKit with no way to change it. When I ask Siri to “turn on the lights” in a room, it will also turn on fans & heaters because it doesn’t know thats not a light.

I also requested this for the legrand wired switches – I use them to control a towel rail and ceiling fan

this is a simple development change and available from other vendors – please can we get it implemented

Thanks

Sam the official response in another thread on this subject is that we’re using them incorrectly 🙄🙄🙄

Hello all,

@Brant, I translated the french answer from developers, “misused” understood as “you use it badly” is surely not the correct word

The idea is that we didn’t block the possibility to manage other kind of devices with a light switch (a fan is a perfect example). We didn’t have for now a dedicated device to manage it, but a specific fan switch will be on the market in Q1 23 with a “fan” display type in HK

I regularly forward to the teams this kind of improvement requests, but adding the possibility to have different Type in HomeKit is not planned

Have a good day,

Leslie – Community Manager

We didn’t have for now a dedicated device to manage it, but a specific fan switch will be on the market in Q1 23 with a “fan” display type in HK

This doesn’t really make sense. K4411C is a “smart switch” and as such it’s perfectly functioning piece of hardware capable of turning on both lights and fans. Now you are implying you’ll be releasing another piece of hardware that works in the exact same way (smart switch) just to substitute a flaw that can be fixed with software. i.e. display a different icon.

The only thing that should be done is to expose the “device type” option in HomeKit. I’ve seen numerous other manufacturers having that option on their switches and I’m having a hard time understanding what’s the real issue here.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Bajic Bojan.

<span style=”caret-color: #575757; color: #575757; font-family: ‘Segoe UI’, ‘Noto Sans’, sans-serif;”>I regularly forward to the teams this kind of improvement requests, but adding the possibility to have different Type in HomeKit is not planned</span>

I really appreciate you forwarding this to them. The consensus among the user base here is that this is a priority feature that should be added. I hope the development team will consider that. Its a standard feature that almost all HomeKit compatible devices I’ve installed have available. Even the Legrand Radiant wifi HomeKit devices have this feature.

Leslie,

I appreciate your update and am definitely looking forward to the release of the ceiling fan switch.

This new product, however, does not fill the needs of every scenario where the ‘display as’ feature can and would be used in a smart home. As mentioned previously, this affects the use of the smart assistant not knowing a specific switch is actually a fan or switch, ONLY as a light. Additionally, as I mentioned in my original thread, the lack of device type/display as support also limits the ability to group devices together in HomeKit, because you can only group items of a similar ‘type’. I would kindly ask that Legrand/Netatmo please add this much requested feature. As Brant mentioned, it is ALREADY an implemented feature on the plug-in/wall outlets.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.