Forum

Browse topics, discover Works With Legrand community!

wireless dimmer battery life

I have several radiant wireless dimmers (model: WNRL63) that are connected to Home Assistant via ZHA. The switches work great, but they are devouring batteries. Brand new batteries are only lasting about 3 weeks. I was able to get the firmware updated to version 31 after connecting them to the legrand gateway, so they should be on the latest firmware. Any ideas as to why the batteries would drain so quickly when connected to a third-party zigbee coordinator?

Hello Steven,

I confirm your wireless switch is on the latest Production version, making it able to be used with a 3rd party ZigBee hub

The battery is supposed to last 8/10 years. But we guarantee it in the case of a “classical” use (integration with a Legrand gateway). I found this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/q9zz8f/zigbee_switches_battery_draining_really_fast/

It mentions wireless switches from other brands, but with a similar problem while using ZHA. Unfortunately, I think that your battery life issue comes from here

Have a good day,

Leslie – Community Manager

Thank you Leslie.

When connected to the Netatmo gateway, the wireless devices are not part of the Zigbee mesh network. They only broadcast a command when the button is pressed.

my guess here is that ZHA is keeping the dimmers “awake” and using them as a repeater.

I connected one of my wireless adorne dimmers to ZHA several weeks ago and today I noticed the battery was dead. I actually haven’t used it within home assistant yet as I haven’t figured out how to bind it to any lamps yet. I’ve got HA running on a Pi 4 but haven’t really been able to spend much time with it. Hoping they get the Netatmo integration figured out in the coming days so i can use it. I think I saw you post on the GitHub board with the same issues.

Binding is fairly straight forward in ZHA. You can only bind to a zigbee group though, not an individual device, so you must first create a zigbee group; at least this has been my experience and actually what you want with lights, so the lights react at the same time.

Zigbee group:
1. Navigate into Settings -> Devices & Services -> ZHA -> Configure
2. Select the Groups tab, and create a group of devices.

Bindings:
1. Navigate into Settings -> Devices & Services -> ZHA -> devices
2. Select the dimmer
3. Select Manage Zigbee Device in the 3-dots menu next to Reconfigure
4. Select the Bindings tab
5. Select the bindable zigbee group, check OnOff and LevelControl, and click the Bind Group button.
6. I press the buttons on the remote a couple times to make sure the dimmer is awake to receive the command. In my experience the Bind button just keeps spinning, but it does work.

Yeah, that was me in the HA github board.

thanks for walking me through that!

I was actually able to bind an adorne dimmer last night to a single hue lamp. I removed the wireless dimmer from ZHA, and re-added it through the hue lamp. I didn’t get good results though.

I just set it up again as a group, and got the same results as before.

With the adorne wireless dimmer, on/off doesn’t work, and the dimmer level is reversed. So ‘up’ is more dim, and ‘down’ is brighter. Also, when I had it bound directly to the lamp, the dimming level control was smooth fading. Now with the group setting, you have to press the button repeatedly to change the level.

Anyway, after learning about the battery issues, I’m not going to pursue it any further. Still hoping that Netatmo integration gets working soon in HA.

I went down this road w/ home assistant with the goal of being able to add occupancy sensors and adaptive lighting to my hue lamps while using the legrand controls. Doesn’t look like that’s really going to happen any time soon. I’ve been waiting for four months now for Bticino relays, mechanical switch controls, and motion sensors that Legrand says will finally be here this week that integrate with the netatmo gateway. That’ll get me everything I want except adaptive lighting. I also wanted to do some custom automations that HA will allow if the netatmo integration ever does work.

Hi Leslie,

After much reading of the link you provided, plus a few more that I found, I think the issue is related to the zigbee poll control cluster that ZHA is defining on the dimmer during the pairing process. Are you able to provide the zigbee cluster values that are configured when the dimmer device is paired to the Legrand gateway? Or is there a Netatmo API I could use to gather these values myself? If I knew the original intended manufacture values, I could replicate them in ZHA to see if that solves the battery drain issue.

Thanks!

Hi Steven,

You could maybe find what you need here : https://developer.legrand.com/documentation/product-cluster-list/

If it’s not the case, I’ll ask to our developers

Have a good day,

Leslie,

I did find that page during my searching, but the only attribute values listed are the Manufacturer Name and Model Identifier. Also, I don’t see that the wireless dimmer switch (NLDD) is listed on that page.

Hi Leslie,

Could you please ask the developers to provide the Zigbee Poll Control cluster attributes and values?

Hello Steven,

Indeed this documentation needs a good update. I already asked the question to developers last Thursday, I’m waiting for their feedback

Have a good day,

Hi Leslie,

I’m just checking in to see if the developers have responded regarding the Zigbee Poll Control cluster attributes and values?

Hello Steven,

Not for the moment … I relaunched the subject to the developers

Have a good day,

Leslie

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.